The following list of Building Services Department permits is not all-inclusive. This list contains common projects that require permits in the Village of Whitefish Bay. If you have any questions regarding a project, please contact the Building Services Department at 414-692-6690.
It is the responsibility of the property owner or his / her delegated agent to procure the proper permit(s) for a specific project. The property owner is wholly responsible for any actions taken on their property. A permit must be applied for and issued prior to the commencement of any project. Failure to obtain proper permits will result in a four times permit fee.
Building Permit - Application (PDF)
Common list of projects that require a Building Permit
|Requires a Building Permit||Requires a Survey||May Require ARC Approval|
|Exterior Remodels||yes|| |
|Remodels - Kitchen, Bathroom, Attic, Basement.|
New cabinets, walls open to studs.
|yes|| || |
|Fireplace||yes|| || |
|Foundation Repairs||yes|| || |
|Decks / Porches / Stoops||yes||yes||yes|
|Demolition of Structures||yes|| || |
|Roofing (any type of roof work)||yes|| || |
|Siding||yes|| || |
|Window Replacements||yes|| || |
|Any Structural Work||yes|| || |
Electrical Permit - Application (PDF)
- New or Relocated Lighting Fixtures, Switches and / or Outlets
- New or Replacement Furnace, Boiler, or A/C Units
- Upgrade Electrical Service
- Appliances (Dishwashers, Disposals, etc.)
- Electric Water Heaters
- Hot Tubs, Whirlpool Tubs, Swimming Pools
- Baseboard Heaters
Plumbing Permit - Application (PDF)
- New or Replacement - Sink, Toilet, Dishwasher, Disposal, Laundry Tray, Tub, Shower, Whirlpool Tub, Sump Pump, Water Heater, Water Treatment Systems, Laterals, Sprinkler Systems, on Demand Water Supplies.
- Extensions of Supply or Waste Lines
- Permit only issued to master plumbers
HVAC Permit - Application (PDF)
- New or Replacement - Furnace, Boiler, Fireplace, Air Conditioner, Vent Fans, Air Exchange Units, Combined Heat And Air Units, Ductwork Alterations
- Swimming Pools
Right of Way Permit - Application available at Village Hall
- Driveway Approach, Carriage Walks, Lateral Repairs
- Any other disturbance in the Right of Way
Dumpster Permit - Application (PDF)
- Placement of Dumpsters on Village Property
Scheduling an Inspection
To schedule an inspection, call office staff Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to schedule an inspection. Please allow up to 48 hours for inspections to be scheduled.
If you are not able to be present for an inspection, the Village inspectors can enter a home via lock box or open door. Pets must be secured. Please do not schedule an inspection when there will only be a minor present at the home.
Inspection Hours (Monday - Friday)
- 7 a.m. - 8 a.m.
- 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- There are no pending demolitions.