Property Tax bills are sent to residents by December 15, 2017. The first installment or payment in full is due January 31, 2018.
WHEN IS MY TAX BILL DUE?
Village of Whitefish Bay Property Taxes are due on Wednesday, January 31, 2018. An installment option is available. There is no need to sign up, but payments must be made timely. Installment payments of taxes and special assessments are due as follows:
- 1st Installment due by January 31, 2018 (all delinquent accounts due)
- 2nd Installment due by March 31, 2018
- Final Installment due by May 31, 2018
HOW DO I MAKE A PAYMENT?
Village Services have temporarily relocated to the Department of Public Works for 2018. Due to the limited parking and space at the temporary location, we are asking residents to pay property taxes one of the following ways this year:
By Mail (Preferred)
- Make check payable to the Village of Whitefish Bay
- Send check to Village of Whitefish Bay, PO Box 8411, Carol Stream, IL 60197-8411
- Use enclosed envelope for fast processing.
On the Village Website, www.wfbvillage.org
- From main page, click “Online Payments”
- Select “Pay Property Taxes” option
- Enter payment type (real or personal property), Name and Address, and Card information.
- Please Note: user fees do apply. Credit Cards – 2.39% per Transaction, $1.50 minimum
- Electronic Check - $1.50 for payments up to $10,000, $5.00 over $10,000
24-Hour Village of Whitefish Bay Night Depository at the Public Works Building
- Depository is located at 155 W Fairmount Ave, Whitefish Bay
- Deposits made prior to midnight will be processed using that day’s date
24-Hour Night Depository at Associated Bank: outside front door at Associated Bank Whitefish Bay Branch location only. Address: 430 E Silver Spring Dr, Whitefish Bay, WI 53217.
- Make in-person payments at Associated Bank during business hours (Whitefish Bay Location Only) 430 E Silver Spring Dr., Whitefish Bay. Lobby Hours Monday – Friday 9 am – 6 pm, Saturday 9 am – 1 pm, Sunday Closed. Closed on Sunday Dec 24, Monday Dec 25, Sunday Dec 31 and Monday Jan 1
HOW DO I OBTAIN A RECEIPT?
Receipts may be obtained in one of three ways:
- Use the Village website, www.wfbvillage.org. Tax payments are processed daily, and receipts may be printed at your convenience. (A payment link will be added after tax bills are sent out).
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope with payment sent via mail or night deposit box
- Receive receipt at time of payment in person at Associated Bank.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I DO NOT PAY ON TIME?
For any property tax bill where payment is not made timely, the bill is considered delinquent and the remaining balance is subject to interest and penalty. Pursuant to Wisconsin State Statutes and Village of Whitefish Bay Municipal Code, delinquent property tax bills are charged 1.5% interest and penalty per month (in the calculation of interest and penalty, a partial month is considered a full month). Interest and penalty are charged retroactive to February 1, 2018.
PREPAYMENTS NOT ACCEPTED FOR 2018 TAXES IN 2017
Village Hall has been receiving a number of questions regarding the deductibility and prepayment of State and Local Taxes (SALT) as result of recent federal tax legislation. The Village is currently collecting 2017 property taxes which are due January 31, 2018. The 2017 property tax bill was mailed out in mid-December 2017 and may be paid prior to December 31, 2017. The Village is not collecting 2018 property taxes which are due January 31, 2019. Per state statute, the Village may not accept prepayments on 2018 taxes in 2017.
State statute 74.13(1)(b)(3) reads “…General property taxes, special assessments, special charges and special taxes may be paid in advance of the levy during the period from August 1 until the 3rd Monday in December.” 2018 property tax amounts will not be available until December 2018.
The Village cannot provide tax or legal advice. Please consult a tax professional or an attorney.