The following list of Building Services Department permits is not all-inclusive. This list contains common projects that require permits in the Village of Whitefish Bay. If you have any questions regarding a project, please contact the Building Services Department at 414-962-6690.
It is the responsibility of the property owner or his / her delegated agent to procure the proper permit(s) for a specific project. The property owner is wholly responsible for any actions taken on their property. A permit must be applied for and issued prior to the commencement of any project. Failure to obtain proper permits will result in a four times permit fee.
Building Permit - Application (PDF)
- Cautionary Statement (PDF) - Needed for a Homeowner Pulling a Building Permit
Common list of projects that require a Building Permit
|Requires a Building Permit||Requires a Survey||May Require ARC Approval|
|Remodels - Kitchen, Bathroom, Attic, Basement.|
New cabinets, walls open to studs.
|Fence||Fence Permit||site plan|
|Decks / Porches / Stoops||yes||yes||yes|
|Demolition of Structures||yes|
|Roofing (any type of roof work)||yes|
|Any Structural Work||yes|
Electrical Permit - Application (PDF)
- New or Relocated Lighting Fixtures, Switches and / or Outlets
- New or Replacement Furnace, Boiler, or A/C Units
- Upgrade Electrical Service
- Appliances (Dishwashers, Disposals, etc.)
- Electric Water Heaters
- Hot Tubs, Whirlpool Tubs, Swimming Pools
- Baseboard Heaters
Plumbing Permit - Application (PDF)
- New or Replacement - Sink, Toilet, Dishwasher, Disposal, Laundry Tray, Tub, Shower, Whirlpool Tub, Sump Pump, Water Heater, Water Treatment Systems, Laterals, Sprinkler Systems, on Demand Water Supplies.
- Extensions of Supply or Waste Lines
- Permit only issued to master plumbers
HVAC Permit - Application (PDF)
- New or Replacement - Furnace, Boiler, Fireplace, Air Conditioner, Vent Fans, Air Exchange Units, Combined Heat And Air Units, Ductwork Alterations
- Swimming Pools
Right of Way Permit - Application available at Village Hall
- Driveway Approach, Carriage Walks, Lateral Repairs
- Any other disturbance in the Right of Way
Dumpster/Storage Unit Permit - Application (PDF)
- Placement of Dumpsters on Private or Village Property